Sunday, August 24, 2014

A question for physicists

I confess I have no grasp whatsoever of advanced physics. I understand Newton's work, simple mechanics, just fine. But quantum mechanics, string theory, super symmetry... these are inconceivable to me. This lack of knowledge leads me to question an assertion I've seen made several times.

I'm told that the leading theories predict as many as ten or eleven dimensions in our universe. Remarks about these multiple dimensions are frequently followed by the caveat that  these dimensions do not mean there are supernatural forces dwelling there and influencing our lives. My question is, how do you know that?

I've been an atheist most of my life. But even I have to wonder what the presence of multiple dimensions means to us. How can anybody say with certainty that we aren't a three-dimensional Sims game on some four-dimensional schoolkid's laptop? There are still unsolved mysteries about our own dimensions. How can we possibly know anything about other dimensions which we can't even examine? Does matter exist in these other dimensions? Don't give me that "not as we know it" cop-out. If "stuff" is in these higher dimensions then how can we say that this "stuff" can't form into intelligent life? And wouldn't intelligent life in a higher dimension almost by definition be a god to us? Much like we are gods to pixels on a screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment